Parenting: the Official TMMAC Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
So TMMAC parents, for those of you with school age children, how is your kids district handling the new mid-COVID school year and what are your thoughts on it?

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
So TMMAC parents, for those of you with school age children, how is your kids district handling the new mid-COVID school year and what are your thoughts on it?
Our kids can chose between traditional, remote (online learning through their base school), or Virtual Academy.

However, the traditional has plan "levels" according to current risk.
Level 1 is regular school with all the basic precautions (masks while entering or exiting, and in halls. Social distancing, temp checks, etc)
Level 2 is masks all the time plus basics and they split up into groups. Group A goes to school Monday and Thursday. Group B goes on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday is special needs. The other days are online learning.
Level 3 is online learning.

We are starting on Level 3.

My kids hate it. I think it's a pretty good plan.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
The kids at my wife's preschool are happy to be back. The staff at the preschool are happy to be back, but aren't thrilled with the curriculum because it's now mandated that young children be taught anti-social behaviors.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
10YO starts all day, in person tomorrow.

14YO has 2 days in person and 2 days remote learning.

I'm fine with in person but concerned it won't last.

They're both in private school in a city that had a very early CVD spike and low/flat mortality since then.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
10YO starts all day, in person tomorrow.

14YO has 2 days in person and 2 days remote learning.

I'm fine with in person but concerned it won't last.

They're both in private school in a city that had a very early CVD spike and low/flat mortality since then.
were homeschooling for about another month at the private school our son is at (he just started first grade last Wednesday). I think September 19th is when they’re shooting for to open campus up. But it could easily be delayed, and we’re unsure how many days of the week he can go when the do actually open back up. Lots of unknowns for us still. Weird start to the school year for these kids. I think it will be good for these kids when they can actually socialize and hang out with their peers/friends again.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I can't wait!
I get madder than hell. But within a minute or two it's funny.

I'm trying to think of a place to hide him to scare them. I can't put it on their pillow, light sleepers.

I'm probably not the best mom for teenage boys. My 17 year old's best friend's ex girlfriend.....(got that? Lol) has been shit talking about them to others. My son said they wanted to go roll her yard, thinking I'd get upset.

I suggested that they also put toothpaste on her windshield wipers and instant potato flakes all over her yard.

My son mentioned dogs so we are getting pup-a-roni treats for our tactical bag.

I'm going to be the lookout/get away driver.

I don't know if we will go through with it but we have had a lot of fun planning "Operation ....". We haven't settle on the name yet.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I get madder than hell. But within a minute or two it's funny.

I'm trying to think of a place to hide him to scare them. I can't put it on their pillow, light sleepers.

I'm probably not the best mom for teenage boys. My 17 year old's best friend's ex girlfriend.....(got that? Lol) has been shit talking about them to others. My son said they wanted to go roll her yard, thinking I'd get upset.

I suggested that they also put toothpaste on her windshield wipers and instant potato flakes all over her yard.

My son mentioned dogs so we are getting pup-a-roni treats for our tactical bag.

I'm going to be the lookout/get away driver.

I don't know if we will go through with it but we have had a lot of fun planning "Operation ....". We haven't settle on the name yet.
I'm so fucked. My wife is incredibly smart and he seems to have gotten her brains, and my wild side. He's a little daredevil. I expect many phone calls from the school.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
I'm so fucked. My wife is incredibly smart and he seems to have gotten her brains, and my wild side. He's a little daredevil. I expect many phone calls from the school.
I almost envy you. Almost. It's not so fun when it's happening but makes for great memories when it's over.

They say bad kids make good adults.

So far, it's been true for me. Up to about 3rd grade I almost got nauseous when picking up my boys from school. I was always waiting on/expecting the teacher to say, "can I speak to you over here for a moment?" But since then they haven't given me any trouble (other than unharmful mischief).

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I almost envy you. Almost. It's not so fun when it's happening but makes for great memories when it's over.

They say bad kids make good adults.

So far, it's been true for me. Up to about 3rd grade I almost got nauseous when picking up my boys from school. I was always waiting on/expecting the teacher to say, "can I speak to you over here for a moment?" But since then they haven't given me any trouble (other than unharmful mischief).
We shall see!

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'll see if my wife is doing something like that, no one would be able to read it if I wrote it.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
So, me and hubby hung out in the garage last night, drinking and trash talking while playing Farkle.

My teenage son and his girlfriend sat in the living room playing chess and listening to Christmas music.

Wtf is wrong with kids these days?!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So, me and hubby hung out in the garage last night, drinking and trash talking while playing Farkle.

My teenage son and his girlfriend sat in the living room playing chess and listening to Christmas music.

Hah!

you know, everyone that I know that has teenagers, they’re all well behaved and mannered, smart and doing well in school, and don’t drink or party. When did straight edge become cool? ?

When I was in high school it was all drugs, booze, and girls! It’s honestly kind of shocking sometimes when looking back on it, but that’s how we did it ??‍♂

I agree with you about “kids these days”, but it sounds like you have a good kid ?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

They just got done watching The Queens Gambit didn't they?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
After 10 years of video calls and regular 6-8 hour amtrak trips, I'm finally going to live next to my kids. I've been homeschooling them since August and decided to give up my place (among several other things) and move to a house 10 minutes away. Being with them full time these last few months had been amazing. They can be annoying af sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
After 10 years of video calls and regular 6-8 hour amtrak trips, I'm finally going to live next to my kids. I've been homeschooling them since August and decided to give up my place (among several other things) and move to a house 10 minutes away. Being with them full time these last few months had been amazing. They can be annoying af sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it.
Congratulations! Sounds like a great Christmas present.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
So much respect for this! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy.