What kind of gun or guns do you have?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I've been thinking about picking up a Mossberg 590S and running 1.75" slugs. I'm attempting to justify it as a home defense gun, but my home is already pretty secure, and I already have pistols that can be used within my home if need be.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I don't own a shotgun, so I know nothing about these. What is the purpose? Do they even seat correctly?
Instead of 5 shells you could hold maybe 8 or so? Almost doubles the quantity that the tube can load depending upon length.

I think they do cycle well in some guns, haven't verified that personally.
I would think they seat correctly in the barrel, not sure on that either though.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Instead of 5 shells you could hold maybe 8 or so? Almost doubles the quantity that the tube can load depending upon length.

I think they do cycle well in some guns, haven't verified that personally.
I would think they seat correctly in the barrel, not sure on that either though.
I would think they wouldn't cycle right, primarily feeding. It make sense they would seat correctly, if the mechanism (I know bolts for AR and M5 platforms, don't know what it's called in a shotgun) pushes them far enough into the chamber I suppose.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I would think they wouldn't cycle right, primarily feeding. It make sense they would seat correctly, if the mechanism (I know bolts for AR and M5 platforms, don't know what it's called in a shotgun) pushes them far enough into the chamber I suppose.
Feeding them is certainly the issue it seems from reading some forum posts regarding mini shells. Some models apparently feed them well and some don't.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLAb0XFKz7E

If you have the right gun, it'll seat just fine. Otherwise, you can get an adapter. If you are using slugs, they'll work just fine for self defense. Buckshot and birdshot, not so much due to a lack of pellets and no wad.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I'd assume based on the substandard size there would be lots of failures to feed, since they'd be attempting to feed a certain length, which would be whatever the ratio is for midgets (round and a quarter?).

ArodJohns

Vegan Hog Farmer
Mar 2, 2023
Bolt face ??‍♀

I agree with your assessment. I wouldn’t trust mini-shells either. I’m sure they’re fine and all but you’re using something that the gun isn’t designed to use.

Rambo John J @Rambo John J, if you really want to use them take a look at the break action over unders or side by sides. You do the loading there, so you should be ok as long as you’re getting passed the chamber with them.

ManDingo

Your Mother’s Lover
Dec 10, 2021
I've been thinking about picking up a Mossberg 590S and running 1.75" slugs. I'm attempting to justify it as a home defense gun, but my home is already pretty secure, and I already have pistols that can be used within my home if need be.

My dad picked one up, awhile back, in 12 gauge

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have one of these
Have elimiinated 2 Rattlesnakes with it so far while doing rock work on a ranch like property that two older people live at
.410 and 45 long colt

1678047548986.png
1678047510176.png

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Aaannnnnnnnnnnddd, I bought it.

PXL_20230309_202801784.jpg

The WA House passed a couple of bills in the past two days. The deadline was yesterday for both bills. One is to create a registry and requires a ten day wait period for all firearm sales. The other is to create a ban on semi-automatic firearms that meet certain criteria.

This is a pump action, so it isn't affected by the latter bill, but I didn't want the state recording the sale in a registry, and I didn't want to have to make a second trip to the store to pickup my gun. Hence deciding to buy it now.

Last edited:

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I just ordered another AR pistol. Should take a few weeks to for the build, then with the bullshit waiting period I may just have it in my possession by this time next month. If any California members ( rmenergy @rmenergy?) want one, I've got a source. As we all know in this state, they are unicorns.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I just ordered another AR pistol. Should take a few weeks to for the build, then with the bullshit waiting period I may just have it in my possession by this time next month. If any California members ( rmenergy @rmenergy?) want one, I've got a source. As we all know in this state, they are unicorns.
Thanks for the thought. My gun safe was overflowing when it tipped off the back of the boat in that tragic accident. Didn't have anything in 223 or 5.56 either.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Thanks for the thought. My gun safe was overflowing when it tipped off the back of the boat in that tragic accident. Didn't have anything in 223 or 5.56 either.
My heartfelt condolences for your losses. Thankfully no 223 or 556 were harmed. They are hydrophobic.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
New gun (kinda) Wednesday! In before my state bans them.

PXL_20230329_200209682.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 1.26.06 PM.png

They ran out of complete uppers for 5.56 NATO, so I went with the .300 Blackout. I'll probably buy a 5.56 NATO barrel once they are back in stock and just use both.

I still need to get a BCG and stock along with optics, light, sling, etc.

Edit: I noticed I forgot to order a rifle buffer kit, so I added that along with a Toolcraft BCG. I can always get the rest later. And a mag to what I've got, and the stick will go bang.

This type of gun was way low on my list of guns to buy. The DNC is doing a great job of getting more of these into the hands of private citizens now. I was going to prioritize either a .30-06, .308, or Creedmoor 6.5 first, then a bow, then a muzzleloader, then .22, then this. It would have been years before I got to this.

Last edited:

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Welp, the M4 chambered in 5.56 NATO / .300 Blackout build is nearly complete. The stock and a magazine will be delivered tomorrow. After that, I just need to add a tac light and iron sights. I've got the rest of the build done with a red/green dot.

Sooooooo, on to the next one. This will be an M5 chambered in .308 Winchester / Creedmoor 6.5. I plan on using this for big game hunting (deer / elk/ etc.), so I'll put a scope on this one and forego most of the tacticool add ons. Other than the scope, I already have everything ordered.

PXL_20230408_003352949~2.jpg

Once this is built, I plan on switching my carry pistols to red dots, adding tac lights to them which means getting new holsters they will fit in. After that, I have a bird hunting shotgun I want to change up a little, and another shotgun that needs a couple of changes as well. Once that is done, I think I'm done buying guns for a while unless I get a hell of a deal. I'm going to have to take some time to figure out what I want for a bow.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Welp, the M4 chambered in 5.56 NATO / .300 Blackout build is nearly complete. The stock and a magazine will be delivered tomorrow. After that, I just need to add a tac light and iron sights. I've got the rest of the build done with a red/green dot.

Sooooooo, on to the next one. This will be an M5 chambered in .308 Winchester / Creedmoor 6.5. I plan on using this for big game hunting (deer / elk/ etc.), so I'll put a scope on this one and forego most of the tacticool add ons. Other than the scope, I already have everything ordered.

View attachment 85218

Once this is built, I plan on switching my carry pistols to red dots, adding tac lights to them which means getting new holsters they will fit in. After that, I have a bird hunting shotgun I want to change up a little, and another shotgun that needs a couple of changes as well. Once that is done, I think I'm done buying guns for a while unless I get a hell of a deal. I'm going to have to take some time to figure out what I want for a bow.
Aero's M5's are awesome. They have a screw in the lower which allows you to mate it perfectly with the upper so there is zero rattling/movement (don't have the aero m4, but maybe they did that on that too?). Keep in mind that there is no mil-spec for the M5's though, it's kind of a shit show. Instead of fucking around, make sure to buy their BCG to make sure headspace isn't an issue. I made that mistake when doing one of my builds and by the time the build was finished and I realized that, I couldn't return the BCG.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Aero's M5's are awesome. They have a screw in the lower which allows you to mate it perfectly with the upper so there is zero rattling/movement (don't have the aero m4, but maybe they did that on that too?). Keep in mind that there is no mil-spec for the M5's though, it's kind of a shit show. Instead of fucking around, make sure to buy their BCG to make sure headspace isn't an issue. I made that mistake when doing one of my builds and by the time the build was finished and I realized that, I couldn't return the BCG.
This is based on the assumption that you're buying the Aero upper as well, by the way. Frankenstein builds on M5's can be a nightmare.