Do u think Kimbo/Shamrock was a work?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Was it a work?

• Yes

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • TQN is a douchebag

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • On the fence/skeptical

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
Well, Ken has four rnc wins on his record at some of the highest levels of competition, also forearm chokes, and a list of other types he knows. Im sure being primarily a grappeler for 30 plus years he is pretty savvy with the rnc.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Well, Ken has four rnc wins on his record at some of the highest levels of competition, also forearm chokes, and a list of other types he knows. Im sure being primarily a grappeler for 30 plus years he is pretty savvy with the rnc.
MMAHAWK @MMAHAWK showed pictures of 4 RNC finishes from Ken. 3 of them had the hand on the forehead.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So thoughts on 3 of those chokes being the same crappy technique? Were those works as well?

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
For me the suspect part isn't so much the positioning of his hands, although when I saw it live I was waiting for him to switch to a better grip. Weirder was the overall effort, or lack of it I should say, put into the choke. He didn't pull back, didn't use his hips, didn't coordinate his body at all to help put pressure on the neck. The other vids of Ken finishing by RNC, he does. The Felix Lee Mitchell choke was probably his sloppiest, but even that was better than this one.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
In 1993, he turned his back.

Against an exhausted Bas Rutten, he didn't even put his hooks in or try to get his arm deep enough across the neck. And of course, he put the hand on top of the head.

I'm not saying Ken didn't have technique but he definitely supplemented his game with a healthy dose of athleticism. It worked for him in the 90s (somewhat) and doesn't work for him now that he's old and small.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
For me the suspect part isn't so much the positioning of his hands, although when I saw it live I was waiting for him to switch to a better grip. Weirder was the overall effort, or lack of it I should say, put into the choke. He didn't pull back, didn't use his hips, didn't coordinate his body at all to help put pressure on the neck. The other vids of Ken finishing by RNC, he does. The Felix Lee Mitchell choke was probably his sloppiest, but even that was better than this one.
When was his last win by rnc? When was his last win period? When was his last fight?

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
So thoughts on 3 of those chokes being the same crappy technique? Were those works as well?
Well Bimbo surely isnt close or will ever be to the level of Bas. Ken being 51 im sure does take a bit out of him, but at this point who really knows other then the 2 fighters, the ones against a fix and the ones for a fix really know no more than one or the other.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
So age caused him to forget how to use his body for leverage? He forgot that he has other muscles in his body besides the bicep and forearm that might be useful when applying a choke?
Age also made him forget that when he had Kimbo flattened that punches would work

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
in kens heyday he was much like royce.he was subbing people who knew nothing of submissions.by the era of the tito fights the game passed him by.he came on the scene as a much better submission fighter than 99% of the others.he never evolved his game and relied on power over technique.it worked for a while .then he got old and everyone else learned sub defense

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think the issue we're having with accepting this result comes from three places:

1) If Ken made such a rudimentary mistake in his finishing a high percentage move like the RNC, he was truly never as good as we once thought him to be when SEG elevated him to the level of myth.

2) Ken himself seems to have bought into a lot of this myth in the past, most notably in Inside the Lion's Den when he basically made the argument that he never lost a fight that he didn't want to lose. This included his fairly absurd rationalizations for dropping out of UFC 3 and his paltry justifications for the "Dance in Detroit."

3) Ken has decades of history in pro wrestling.

As a result of this, there's a cloud of cognitive dissonance around all things related to Ken. It's impossible to know what to believe. I think the safest thing is to wish him a happy retirement and not watch any of his fights anymore if he engages in them.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So age caused him to forget how to use his body for leverage? He forgot that he has other muscles in his body besides the bicep and forearm that might be useful when applying a choke?
Age and ring rust (see cain) caused him to not execute it properly.... Just like he hasn't in the past. His cardio at 51 is more than likely no where, where it used to be. And their is a reason he hasn't won in X amount of years. I understand most of us want to remember him as the younger Shamrock, but it's just jot the case.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
During the fight it was my prevailing thought. Afterward I thought it was just a guy getting old.(er)
Now, I'm leaning toward my original thought, which is usually right.
Put me in that position on Kimbo and he's sleeping.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Another thing to consider, and while I am still sort of going back and fourth on it.

The statement "Look at the punch he took, no one does that for a fix/work"

The response to that is Dos Caras Jr. vs Cro Cop. Which hasn't Del Rio said was and is considered at this point at least a quasi-fixed fight?

Or is this still just considered "Throwin a can to the wovles?" I am not recalling the consensus.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Another thing to consider, and while I am still sort of going back and fourth on it.

The statement "Look at the punch he took, no one does that for a fix/work"

The response to that is Dos Caras Jr. vs Cro Cop. Which hasn't Del Rio said was and is considered at this point at least a quasi-fixed fight?

Or is this still just considered "Throwin a can to the wovles?" I am not recalling the consensus.
Option B.